King Louis the Great granted a nationwide right of holding markets to the settlement. In 1427 the town was donated to the Gersei Pethő family who were able to defend the church, being turned into a guarding fortress, from the Turks and the oppidium as well, which was protected by a plank and moat. In 1690 the Festetics family bought Keszthely and it became the centre of their huge estate. In 1797 Count György Festetics established the first agricultural college of Europe and in 1807 he organized the Helikon Festivals.
Bakacs Street, Keszthely.
The trilogy of the relief titled: Sixty militiamen,
The gift of Svatsics abbot-parish priest to the militiamen,
Sándor Bakacs the sub-prefect of County Zala /1650/ at the corner of the Doll Museum /,
The portrait galleries of our national notabilities / Hungarian historical figures, famous writers, poets, actors and kings have been placed on the side-wall of the Doll Museum.
The sculpture of Saint Elizabeth
12 Kossuth Street, Keszthely: The bust of László Bánhidy / Uncle Matula /
In the panels of the house gate found at 12 Kossuth Street, Keszthely:
Manyi Kiss / Aunt Náncsi /
Ferenc Zente / Uncle István /
Csikasz, Bikfic / The dogs from the books: “Thorn Castle” and “Winter Grove”/
10 Kossuth Street,Keszthely, Entrance,: The famous buildings of Keszthely
Palatine István Lackfi had the Church of Our Lady (The Gothic Parish Church) built who had been the occupant of Csáktornya and Keszthely as well. (1386) Even the Turks were not able to occupy the fortress surrounded by walls because at that time it was located on a peninsula protected by Lake Balaton. In 1878 Tasziló Festetics had the neo-gothic tower built in front of the medieval nave so that the rose-window was taken out from the façade and walled up into the tower. In the year of the Millennium, the beautiful glass windows of Miksa Roth were placed into the tracery structures. In 1945 the retreating foreign troops set the tower on fire and its reconstruction lasted for three years. The activity of the Premonstrant Order ceased here in 1950.
Red House, Hotel Hullám and Hotel Balaton, Gersei Pethő House, Calvinist Church, Lutheran Church, Saint Theresa of Lisieux Carmelita Basilica and Friary,” Peasant-baroque” house from the 18th century. “Dongó” (blow-fly) House, “peasant-baroque” house, which can be found in the downtown of Keszthely. The building of the “Manorial Construction Office” founded by Kristóf Festetics. 7 Sopron Street
Main Secondary Grammar School
The school was founded by Count Pál Festetics in 1772. It became a main secondary grammar school when it was equipped with a new building suitable for this function. The new institution-led by the Premonstrant Order-was inaugurated in 1892.
A lot of prominent persons attended this school: Ferenc Deák, János Batsányi, György Festetics, György Fejér, Kolos Vaszary, Aurél Bernáth, Lajos Básti and Ferenc Csík.
It was built in eclectic style in 1910. It got its name after Elemér Liposits who was an internist head physician. He moved to the building in 1952 and opened a surgery there. The medical room-in its original form-can be found in the Nostalgia Museum.
The present pedestrian zone had been part of a road leading to a Roman fortress called Valcum. On both sides of the road there had been lodging houses and inns. Since the road had stood on a ridge, the precipitation had washed out ditches on both sides, which are the small streets of the pedestrian zone now. This small alley was named after Sándor Bakacs who was a castellan.
The Festetics Castle
In the place of the present Festetics stately home the manor house of the Gersei Pethő family stood in the Middle Ages and there used to stand the Saint Martin’s parish church until 1880. The building of the present stately home was started by Count Kristóf Festetics in 1745. At that time the building had thirty-four rooms and later it was rebuilt and extended several times, so today it can boast of with one hundred and one rooms and it is the one of the largest baroque castles of Hungary.
1 Lajos Kossuth Street, Keszthely: The relief of Böske Simon
3 Lajos Kossuth Street, Keszthely: The bust of Dr. Elemér Liposits
9 Lajos Kossuth Street, Keszthely: The relief of Lajos Básty
Castle Turn, Keszthely: The relief of Ignác Nagy
On the shore of Lake Balaton, Keszthely: Ferenc Csík
Helikon Park, Keszthely
The Memorial plaque of the Helikon Festivals
The relief of Béla Bartók
The relief of Judit Dukai Takács
The relief of Dénes Csengei
Szendrei Grange: Julia Szendrei
The relief of Jancsi Patkó
The relief of Jancsi Nádi
János Gersei Pethő / bust /
Miklós Horthy / bust/
Saint Laszlo / bust /
Ferenc Deák / relief /
József Bem / bust /
Lajos Kossuth / bust /
István Dobó / bust /
Saint George of Lydda / relief /
Count László Festetics / relief /